Monday, July 6, 2009

It's My Blog and I'll Rant if I Want To: The Taboo of Behavioral Medication

“Parents give their kids pills to make them easier to deal with these days.”
“Parents jump too quickly into medicating their kids.”
“Doctors push pills.”
“Schools force parents to medicate their children.”

Have you heard these lines? Are they true? I don’t know if they are. I haven’t done research to find out. But then, as far as I can tell, neither have the people who say them. If you are a parent who has gone the route of medicating a child with ADHD, OCD, Aspergers, or any other such behavioral disorder, I would be willing to bet that you’ve had such things said to you or around you and felt bad, like maybe you let your child down, gave in too easily, etc. That’s horrible. As a parent of a child who is deaf and also has been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD, for which he takes medication, I want to let it be known that I have yet to come across a parent who took medicating their child lightly. If anything, I’ve come across parents who are so afraid of falling into those stereotypes outlined above that they don’t medicate a child that could likely benefit greatly from it.

I was part of a social skills parent group for a while and in that group were about a dozen parents with children similar to mine (except that mine was also deaf, which these people didn’t feel bad for me about on its own, but because they knew it was just one more thing to deal with and they couldn’t imagine having MORE to deal with). In the group, children on medication were the minority. What? No way! A group with kids who had some of the most extreme behavior problems--so bad they were attending groups set up by their insurance company—and not all of the parents were jumping up and down with their hands in the air waiting to get a prescription? That’s right. In fact one of the moms in the group had a child with such severe problems that even my son was astounded by him. She had spent thousands of dollars on those institutes you hear advertised on the radio that are suppose to turn your child around in 30 days with a few magic words and what not; she was attending this parent group while her son attended the children’s group; and she was fighting with her school district to keep her son in class. The one thing she was not doing, because she didn’t want to label her child or turn him into a zombie, was giving him medication. I had to admire her for sticking to her guns, but I also felt sad that society had made medication for behavior problems so taboo that this woman wouldn’t even give it a chance. Maybe her son would respond in a way that could lift half of their worries off of their shoulders. They would never know.

I too was wary of the label and the possible changes in personality that medication could bring on. It took several years of knowing my son had “issues” and trying everything I could to deal with them without medicine before I finally went that route. I can tell you now that putting your child on medication such as Concerta or Ritalin is not a one stop answer to all of your problems. It’s a fluid process. But it also does not cause your child to walk around in a zombielike state or change their personality. If it’s right for your child (and if you are prescribed medication and try it, you will know within days if it’s right or not) it does help relieve some of the stress in your lives and can help your child’s self esteem, since they spend less of their time being chastised for their behavior. While I can’t say what is right for your child, neither can anyone else say what is right for mine. Well, apparently they “can,” but they shouldn’t.

3 comments:

  1. As was the case when I was dealing with Ryan's hearing loss diagnosis and overwhelmed with the choices, I found parents who had been through it my greatest resource. Many times I have found comfort or understanding in your posts on Listen-up or through our private emails. We have some interesting boys who keep us on our toes and are so wonderful in many ways. I have struggled for years trying to get an answer about Ryan's behavior. We're still at it. Currently we're trialing a new medication. And a psych student has taken interest in Ryan and will be doing some neuro psych tests this month at no charge! We'll see if anything new and interesting comes up. You are so right that the medication decision doesn't come easy and I will always question it probably for the rest of my life. I just want Ryan to be able to socialize with his peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your post on CICircle and Listen-Up about your blog. Great post. My son Aiden, 16 mths is profoundly deaf (with bilateral CIs), but it is my 8 yr old daughter who we are trying to figure out what's going on. My husband and I have just began our journey with her diagnosis, but we're betting on the ADHD/ADD route and have had many discussions on whether or not we would medicate her. We want what's best for her and will make her daily life (in school and socially) just that much easier. We have a long road ahead of us, but after the past two years of dealing with my son's deafness and a father with dementia, bring it on. Guess I'll have to start a second blog! ; )

    I look forward to following your story! Do you mind if I put it on my blog roll?
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Thanks for the responses. I've been out of town and am just now seeing them. Tammy, I'm fine with being added to your blog roll. Lisa, good to ehar form you. We could probably write a book about our boys some day if we ever figure them out completely! The psych student sound sliek a good deal. He's probably more motivated than most doctors.

    ReplyDelete